Refuse and Recycle Information

The City of Gunnison provides residiential and commercial refuse and recycling collection services on a once a week schedule. All city residents pay for this service in their monthly utility bill. 
  • The City of Gunnison will provide a refuse can and recycle bins for your use. Available residential refuse can sizes and prices are:
    • Large - 98 gallons, $23 per month for weekly pick up. 
    • Medium - 68 gallons, $19 per month for weekly pick up. 
    • Small - 38 gallons, $15 per month for weekly pick up.
  • Commercial accounts may utilize the above can sizes or a dumpster at the following cost:
    • 2 cubic yard dumpster, $60 per month, per weekly pick up.
  • Please place your refuse in the alley behind your house. If you do not have an alley call Public Works to find out your pick up spot. 
  • Have your refuse out by 8:00 a.m. on your pickup day. Click here if you need to know your pickup day. 
  • Do not place your can directly under overhead electric, phone or cable lines. 
  • Place all of your refuse in the refuse can that the City has provided. The automated refuse truck is unable to empty any other type of can. Please do not place refuse in boxes or bags on the ground. 
  • Please do not overfill the can, the lid must be closed when set out for pick up. 
  • If you have refuse that won't fit in your can, please call Public Works to arrange a special pickup. Click here to see what items we will pick up and the rates. 
  • Do not place recycle bins or other items in front of your refuse can or dumpster.
  • Please leave a minimum 3 foot of clearance on each side of your refuse can. 
  • The City has an organic dump available for yard waste, click here for details.
  •  Please click here or call Public Works at 970-641-8020 to:
    • To arrange a special refuse pickup if you have additional refuse that will not fit in your can.
    • For a special pickup of large items such as appliances, etc.
    • If you need a can or would like a smaller or larger can. 
    • If you need recycle containers.
  • DO NOT place liquids, motor oil, tires, paint, car batteries, pesticides, or weed killer in the regular refuse. Call the County Landfill at 641-5522 to get help with disposal of these types of materials. DO NOT place building materials, rocks or other large items in your refuse.

The City of Gunnison provides curbside recycling pickups for City residents. Participating in the recycle program will prolong the County Landfill's life and will help forestall rate increases. Please note the following guidelines:
  • Recyclables will be collected on the same day as your refuse pickup. 
  • Keep recyclables free of moisture by not setting out recyclables the night before when snow or rain is likely. 
  • Each residence is provided with up to 4 bins. If your bins are missing, please call Public Works at 970-641-8020. Remember the bins belong to the city, please leave them at the residence when you move. 
  • Place your recyclables in the same place you put your regular trash. Do not place recycle bins in front of your refuse can or dumpster and leave a minimum 1 foot of clearance on each side of your refuse can. 
  • WHAT IS RECYCLABLE? Click here to see our Recycle Sorting Guide.

The City of Gunnison offers electronics recycling. Click here for more information.